Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Stuff That's Happening and Other Thoughts

1. This is my fifth year teaching band. Yesterday, I stood in front of my band and asked them to sit patiently and quietly while we spent about 15 minutes taking up forms, passing out forms, and a few other administrative things. For the first time EVER in my teaching career, they did exactly what I told them. They sat there patiently and didn't say a peep. I didn't even think that was possible. I can't believe how awesome my group is this year. This might be the first year I don't spend my free time thinking about what other career path I could take.

2. There is a good possibility that I might try optimism this year. I'm still on the fence about it. Is it ironic that I feel pessimistic about trying optimism?

3. There is no substitute for hard work.

4. If you have all the latest technology, a gaming system, a data package on your cell plan, new clothes, a nice car, a nice house, a huge flat screen television, the ability to take a vacation, and the luxury to eat out EVER.......then you are not broke and shouldn't pretend that you are. I'm going to venture a guess that you are able to swing $30 a month for your kid to have a trumpet. And don't act like you didn't have 4 months notice to take care of the necessary arrangements. Get with the program and get involved in your kid's life.

5. Parents will be the reason that my quest for optimism will be challenging. Seeing kids flourish in spite of their ridiculous parents may be the reason it succeeds.

1 comments:

Suzanne said...

This makes me think of a Kurt Vonnegut, Jr quote that I love: "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. . . I myself prefer to laugh since there is less cleaning up to do afterwards."
:) Have a super weekend!!