Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Kitchen: My Favorite Place on Sunday Afternoon

Ahhhhh what a wonderful afternoon in the kitchen. I simply cannot wait for summer so I can do this everyday. Today I made chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with a recipe that I found here. Dean seemed like he was having a pretty rough day on Friday, so I asked him what he wanted me to make to bring to work next week and he requested these cookies. I think they are his favorite. These cookies are phenomenal! I hope they are able to take the edge off of a busy week for him and Kai. I've had a hard time keeping my hands off of them today. I like oatmeal cookies, but don't like it when they are crunchy. These are very chewy and light. They also have walnuts in them. I'm not good a describing how things taste, but trust me when I say that these rock. They were very easy to make and I highly recommend this recipe. All of my TSMS friends please stop by and try one - I imagine they won't last long!



Have you ever had spaghetti squash? It is delicious. I have not had any in several years so I decided to revisit this quirky vegetable. One thing that is cool about spaghetti squash is that you can substitute it for noodles in a pasta dish. I cut this one in half, scooped out seeds, put a little pat of butter on each side, and popped it in to a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes. When they come out of the oven you just take a fork and scrape the "spaghetti" off the sides. It comes off so easily and then you have a bowl of "noodles". I made some turkey meatballs and my own marinara sauce today to go along with it.


This is the finished product. It was so delicious and a very healthy alternative to pasta. I didn't miss the pasta at all! They squash is sweet and a little crunchy and, in my opinion, had way more flavor than plain spaghetti noodles. Try it for yourself!. You can use pre-made meatballs and sauce and only have to cook the squash. It's a very easy meal, makes plenty of servings, and you don't have to feel guilty about having so many carbs!


1 comments:

Liz said...

I LOVE spaghetti squash!!! Have you made it alfredo style? It is pretty good that way as well.