Sunday, April 11, 2010

Refueling For the Road Ahead

The past few weeks I've been running on E. I've noticed a pattern in my personal gas mileage. At the beginning of each semester I run very efficiently like a Prius. I can go and go and go and I don't need to stop very often for an emotional fill up. Right now I'm running like an old farm truck - I'm not making it very far before I need to refuel. The last two weekends have been free for me to do what I please, but I'm going to be working most of the weekends between now and the end of the year. I'm worried about my sanity. And I apologize in advance for being crabby, angry, resentful, and bitter (you know, all the things you love about me). I'm going to do my best to maintain sanity, and I'm sure that with help from good friends like Jose Cuervo and Captain Morgan, I'll be just fine.

This weekend I went to the Main Street Arts Festival downtown. I'm a little mad at myself for living here for seven years and never going. Thank goodness my friend Tara opened my eyes Friday night to this wonderful event! I felt like I had found Mecca! I ended up going back Saturday and Sunday morning and spent several hours wandering around both days. Most of what was there was well out of my price range but everything was so beautiful and unique that I was transported out of band land and into a cocoon of inspiration. I got so many great ideas for projects I want to do this summer and I bought a few things that I could afford. They also had several restaurant vendors there selling a few things from their menus. I got to try Tenderloin Tamales from the Reata and a giant cream puff from a German place. I didn't have my camera on Saturday so you'll have to take my word that the tamales were excellent! On Sunday I got to sample these delights........


Pork Tacos from Embargo. I had eaten two before I remembered to take a picture. Oh. My. God. These were delicious. To quote Jennifer's nephew, I want them in my mouth. Everyday.


Apple Crisp from the Reata Restaurant. That was the best apple-anything I believe I've ever had.

This is the necklace I bought. When I saw it, I loved it, and when I saw that I could actually afford it, I was delighted. This picture sucks. It looks much better on me!


I bought a few small pictures from a photographer that I thought was really unique. You can't see from this picture how colorful and different they are.......you will have to come over for a better look.


I also went to the KHS craft show on Saturday and couldn't resist this cutesy tomato pin cushion!


Then filled with creative energy, I made a few things this afternoon.
More shoe clips for my green shoes.


Pendants inspired by jewelry I couldn't afford at the festival.


Earrings that remind me of summer citrus fruit. I want lemonade and oranges every time I look at them.


Another necklace....


So needless to say, I had a great weekend. Friends, food, and the arts - my three favorite things in the world! I hope this fuel lasts me longer this time.........

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Next year you HAVE to take me with you. Sounds super fun!

Jennifer A. said...

Actually, Sam says, "I like cookies in my mouth." (tamales, or whatever, in your case) :) Looks like you had a blast!