Monday, November 12, 2007

The Joys of Teaching

I've got a doozie of a story today. During concert band today we were rehearsing our song, Angels We Have Heard on High, in the usual groundhog day fashion that is the concert band. I was in the middle of counting off the oboe player when I look over to the saxophone section and watch our very special saxophone player take the neck off of this sax, put the open end up to his nose, close off one of his nostrils and then blow into the sax neck with the open nostril. I was so appalled that I almost fell out of my chair!!!!!!! Now, this kid is so special that he can hardly write his name and he really doesn't do more than hold the saxophone. Most of the time he spends the class swabbing out his instrument and polishing the outside. A few minutes later he was putting the cork end of his neck into his ear. He did swab out the instrument after he blew his nose into it, so I guess that's a good thing. Don't worry, I've already had a glass of wine and I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is a new day - hopefully with fewer boogers.

0 comments: