Sunday, January 27, 2008

I can't think of a profound title for this blog

I'm feeling a little better about life today. Jennifer and I went to a great clinic yesterday at SMU and it renewed my teaching spirit some. I thought it would be a long day, but I found myself really engaged by everything that everyone was saying. I felt like a sponge that hadn't been dipped into water in months and so every part of my brain had plenty of room to fill up with new knowledge. I don't feel so stale anymore. I feel like there is a little more hope for me to survive the rest of the year. If I want to be good at my job then I have no choice but to keep immersing myself into stuff like this on a more regular basis. I'm too new at this not to. It would be ignorant of me to just coast along and be satisfied with mediocrity for the rest of my career. I'm in it to win or lets go home. I am truly amazed at how much more I demand of myself as a teacher than I ever did as a student. I guess being a student came a little easier. At any rate, I need to stay motivated and inspired so that I don't get beat down again. It's going to be hard with the group that I have this year, though.

On another note, I finished Eat Pray Love last night. I was sad that it was over. It has forced me to think a lot about myself over the past few weeks and that is a good thing. In a way, it reinforced some security in decisions I have made that have left me feeling insecure lately. Without getting into too much detail, I appreciated the rawness of her imperfections. I think that is how we grow as humans: recognizing our flaws and overcoming them. Always working to better ourselves. I know, I know - that is sooooo cliche, but I think that things would spiral out of control if we didn't recognize what we need to fix about ourselves. I have so much in my head right now that I could type for hours, but it's late and I'll save the rest of my thoughts for another day........

1 comments:

Suzanne said...

OK, "Eat Pray Love" was one of the best books I've read recently. Thanks *so* much for sending it! :) See you soon!!