Saturday, January 19, 2008

Operation Maintain Sanity, Day 1


After a week from hell, I decided Thursday night that I needed break. I'm having some sort of pre-midlife crisis or something. I feel some big changes coming for me. I am unsatisfied with my current job. I like it (sorta), I'm just not satisfied with it. I'm not motivated. I'm not inspired. My goal between now and June is to make it something I'm satisfied with. I need to find something to motivate me. Something to inspire me. I just don't know how to do it. I need guidance from someone wiser than myself. I'm going to take every measure I know of to make it a better situation for myself. I'm the only one that can control my destiny. I was inspired by Elizabeth Gilbert's book I'm currently reading. She said at some point, and I'm paraphrasing here, while she was living in Italy, "I just realized that I can go anywhere I want." Me, too, I thought. I put the book down and booked a room in downtown Austin, left work early on Friday, and took off on my adventure. While driving down I-35, I remember why I fly to San Antonio every year. There is no break in the traffic. It's like driving downtown for 3 1/2 hours. Once I arrived in Austin, I was immediately over the drive. I've been through Austin several times, but never spent more than a day here. The first time was right after high school graduation when a group of us caravaned to Belton to visit a friend who had just moved. We drove in to Austin one night and lit matches outside of the capitol. I think that was my first taste of freedom from my parents. It was awesome. The LMB spent a night downtown before a game in San Marcos and we got to hang out on 6th street for the evening. That is as long as I've ever spent in my state's capitol. I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself for the next few days. Probably shopping and sight seeing, and hopefully catch a meal with my friend Jennifer that lives here. Here are a few pictures from my first night in Austin:


Here is my room at the Hilton. There are five pillows on the bed and I used everyone of them last night plus the two that I brought from home.



This picture is for Cristian. (If they restock what I've already used, I'll swipe them for you!)



Here is the view from my room. If I could afford to live downtown anywhere, I would. I've always been dazzled by city lights since I was little. Maybe some day my dream will come true......



Here is the view Saturday morning. My plan was to stay inside today but it's too pretty! I'll be getting out to stroll the city.



This was my dinner last night. Room service. It is the best thing ever invented. And it was delicious. I had a cheese plate with brie and boursin cheeses (my favorites), fresh fruit, and candied walnuts. I also had a tuna nicoise salad and a glass of wine. I was so relaxed after that. I feel asleep at 8:30.



Room service woke me up this morning with this awesome breakfast. I don't know why I don't do this more often. It has been fabulous having someone bring delicious food to my room. And nothing to clean up afterwards. I've had all the room service I can afford so I guess I'll be hitting the streets for lunch today. Although, that cheese plate last night was delicious so I might be getting another one before I check out!

1 comments:

Suzanne said...

OK, so that's the best idea ever. We might have to plan a sanity weekend sometime soon so I can join you!! :) Hope you're having fun today!!