Sunday, January 20, 2008

Operation Maintain Sanity, Day 2

I am so glad that I took this trip! I feel like Rachel Ray on $40 a day. I act like I've never been on a trip in my life, but I have never traveled like this. I've never been someplace all alone and I've never gone somewhere without a clear purpose. Well, there was a purpose to this weekend, just not like the usual purposes. Both times I've been to Chicago it was for a reason. I was in New York for a reason. I'm always in San Antonio for a reason. I consider myself lucky that I have the means to take off on a trip like this. I also consider myself lucky that I don't have to worry about leaving people behind to take such a self indulgent trip. I have always loved to travel. (Except for those 24 hour trips in the van to Michigan). I love getting away and staying in hotels and venturing to all sorts of new places. It's just recently that I've had the means to do more of it. And after the pure enjoyment of this trip, I have a feeling that I'll be getting away more and more often. Here's a quote from Eat Pray Love that I quite relate to:
"......traveling is the great true love of my life. I have always felt, ever since I was sixteen years old and first went to Russia with my saved-up babysitting money, that to travel is worth any cost or sacrifice. I am loyal and constant in my love for travel, as I have not always been loyal and constant in my other loves. I feel about travel the way a happy new mother feels about her impossible, colicky, restless newborn baby-I just don't care what it puts me through. Because I adore it. Because it's mine. Because it looks exactly like me. If can barf all over me if it wants to-I just don't care."



The picture above is were I ate lunch Saturday. A South American restaurant called Dona Emilia's.
This is what I had. Blackened salmon with a basil chimichurri on top of a sweet potato cake. That was the BEST piece of salmon that I've ever had.



After lunch I walked down 6th Street and found the Old Pecan Street Cafe. Their menu boasted famous pecan pie, so I had to try it. It was served with homemade whipped cream and strawberries that were quite juicy and delicious, considering it's January. That was the best piece of pecan pie I've ever had. I don't know if I'm just more aware of the taste of food when I'm not distracted by conversation or if meals I've had here are just that good! When I got up to walk back to the hotel, and I must quote Alanis Morissette, "I feel drunk but I'm sober". I felt great. I felt relaxed. I felt like I should have done this months ago. I guess buying my house and adjusting to a new school got in the way.

This cafe seemed oddly out of place on 6th street. It looked it belonged more on Main Street in Nacogdoches rather than nestled between dirty bars on a cleaner version of Bourbon Street. It was really cute inside. I was there at about 4:30 and the sun shining through the windows made it look like something out of a movie. I found it quite peaceful and relaxing.


I've got lots more to report, but I want to get out and walk around town more! I'll post more pictures later!

1 comments:

Suzanne said...

OK, so I wrote that EXACT quote from Eat Pray Love in my quote journal the other day :) And I'm at the part about Luca Spaghetti's birthday- I wish I had a friend who's name was Luca Spaghetti :)