Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday Night Thoughts

I'm entertaining myself at Natasha's house while she is taking the babysitter home. I found an article on MSN.com called 9 Money Rules to Live By by Liz Pulliam Weston. I always read articles like this because I want to make sure that I'm not doing something stupid with my money. There was one little section that articulates a thought that I frequently have and I just wanted to share it. I always wonder when enough will be enough........finding a balance between a good, comfortable life of contentment and always wanting more. Anyway....this is what I found:

"The pointlessness of the hedonic treadmill

This isn't the latest workout device at your gym. The hedonic treadmill means that we quickly adjust to improved circumstances. A raise at work or a new possession may make us happy for a little while, but we soon take our situation for granted. Our expectations continue to rise: if only I could get another raise, or a better car, or a bigger house. Should those expectations be satisfied, again we'd adjust and quickly want more.

This has a lot of implications for personal finance and the economy, but here's something to consider: Maybe we need to look beyond our wallets for true happiness."

0 comments: