Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Thoughts on thoughts.......

So, I'm a week into my "28 is great" campaign. So far I think that things are going well. I have a more positive outlook on the next school year. I'm trying to trust my gut. I'm taking baby steps. However, I'm not ready to be set up with people's plumbers.

Just because I'm pushing 30 doesn't mean that my biological clock is ticking. I don't hear it at all. I never have. I have a laundry list of things that I want to do before I would even ENTERTAIN the IDEA of having A child. Maybe someday I will change my mind about procreating, but ya know, maybe I won't. I guess I'm just getting more and more impatient with crazy folks assuming that I should be ready to start a family. Anyhoo - I wasn't going to post this article I found, but after today I feel compelled. I think I might just start carrying it around to read to people that inquire about my lack of buns in the oven, because I'm just about at a loss.

These are snippets from an article called Mama Don't Preach, by Amy Reiter

"If you're living a child-free life, you probably know what I'm talking about: People who start out celebrating their own decision to have kids and end up casting aspersion on your choice not to -- or at least not to have them just yet. They'll carry on -- with great concern about your ticking biological clock, of course -- about how their lives before children were (and implicitly, your life without them is) empty, lonely, devoid of meaning, even downright selfish.......I'm past 30 and a brand-new parent. At this point in my life, though not before, having a baby feels completely, euphorically right for me. I'm deliriously happy with my decision to spawn. But who am I -- or who is anyone else -- to say that having a baby is the best thing for everyone?
Not only do I not think that the only meaningful life is one that includes children, but I'd also go so far as to say that there are people in the world who should not have children. I'm not talking about people who are, say, prone to abuse. Those people are givens. I'm talking about perfectly nice, everyday folk who don't really want children. People who are happy with their lives as they are and are uninterested in turning them upside down to meet the needs and whims of a growing child.........You're not being selfish. Your life won't be empty. And you're certainly not destined for a sad, lonely end. People can find meaning in their lives in ways that don't include progeny."


Yeah, so take that.

0 comments: