Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Word on Comedy

As I drove to teach this morning, I heard a commercial for a Bill Engvall's new sitcom. (I'm not really sure on the details of this guy, but I know that he's one of these blue collar comedy folks, and I think you all know my stance on blue collar comedy.) They described it like this: "In the spirit of Jerry Seinfeld".........

Ok, stop right there. DO NOT attempt to EVEN compare the ignorance of blue collar comedy to the comedic genius of Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry has a gift. Jerry doesn't glamorize redneck ignorance. Jerry is clever. I guess I like him because his comedy is smart. I'm not trying to be some comedy snob, but you absolutely CANNOT compare the two. They are on different poles of the world. Opposite ends of the universe. Light years apart. Maybe it's me getting older, but I'm starting to really despise any sort of pop culture that glamorizes being stupid (ie Paris Hilton, Jessica Simpson) or that glamorizes just plain being ignorant and ignorant to the rest of the world (ie blue collar comedy) or that glamorizes being skanky to get what you want (ie all of these stupid bachelor shows where the skankiest girl of all always ends up with the guy). Why can't we glamorize being educated and successful? (And I'm not talking about Donald Trump, because he's an idiot). I guess that I just look at the generation I'm teaching and I want and expect more for them, especially the girls, than thinking that they have to be dumb, blonde, and skanky to be somebody. My goal is to always try to be the contrary for these girls: smart, brunette, and not skanky. Back to original point - Bill Engvall will never be on the same playing field as Jerry Seinfeld, unless of course smart and witty comedians are playing ignorant and immature comedians in a game of baseball. Moral of my story: GET AN EDUCATION!!!!!!!

(stepping off my soap box now)..........

0 comments: